What is hair loss?
Hair loss is characterized by the shedding and thinning of hair at a faster rate than it is regrown.
What causes hair loss?
Hair loss is generally caused by any disruption of the normal growth and life cycle of healthy hair. There are many potential causes that can contribute to hair loss, including:
- Altered hormonal levels
- Male pattern baldness
- Female pattern baldness
- Alopecia areata
- Medication side effects
- Traction alopecia
- Injury to hair follicles
- Telogen effluvium
- Stress or other emotional trauma
All of these potential contributing factors can disrupt the hair's growth cycle, leading to noticeable thinning and increased hair shedding. While some causes, such as genetics and aging, are not alterable, treatments are available to help improve hair in patients with these issues.
How do we treat hair loss?
The Orentreich Medical Group has been treating hair loss of all types for over 50 years. We begin treatment with an in-depth consultation, including a physical examination of your hair loss and possible testing to determine an accurate diagnosis. We offer a variety of treatments, including:
- Oral medications: Anti-androgen medications, such as Finasteride, Dutasteride and Spironolactone are frequently used successfully to treat androgenetic hair loss.
- Topical preparations: We custom compound topical hair drops using a combination of several medications proven to treat hair loss.
- Scalp injections: Medications are injected locally into the scalp to halt hair thinning and promote growth.
- Hair Transplant Surgery: A surgical procedure first performed by Dr. Norman Orentreich in 1952, during which hair follicles are taken from an unaffected area (the donor site) and re-planted in an area of thinning hair (the recipient site). After surgery, the donor hairs grow as they would in their original site, resulting in the appearance of a fuller head of hair.
What can I expect?
Hair loss varies greatly between individuals, and treatment results will depend on a variety of factors, making outcomes impossible to predict. A personalized treatment plan will be developed for you, which is likely to stop the progression of your hair loss. Your treatment plan will be evaluated regularly to maintain desired results. Most of the hair loss treatments that we offer are not appropriate for women who are pregnant, nursing, or trying to conceive.
Have a question about your treatment?
We have a dedicated triage nurse (RN) who answers patient questions during office hours. If you have a problem or question about a procedure or a prescribed medication, please call our office and ask to speak to our nurse. If she is unable to answer your question, she will consult with your practitioner and return your call.