What is skin redness?
When capillaries (blood vessels) near the surface of the skin enlarge, a red appearance of the skin is the result.
What causes skin redness?
Redness can be due to by many causes, including:
- A rash, eczema, or allergic dermatitis.
- Cumulative overexposure to the sun
- Acne rosacea
- An autoimmune condition such as psoriasis.
- Spider veins (tiny blood vessels with weakened walls that show through the skin's surface, often found around nose and on legs)
- Weather extremes
How do we treat redness?
Treatment for redness varies depending on its cause and includes:
- Topical custom-compounds
- Prescription corticosteroid or other medications
- Corticosteroid injection therapy
- Oral antibiotics
- Light or laser therapy, including Vbeam laser and IPL
What can I expect?
Redness can be fleeting or chronic (long-lasting) and is a highly individualized skin disorder and there is no exact cure or one right treatment for all types and conditions. A personalized treatment plan will be developed for you to improve your skin’s redness. Your treatment plan will be reevaluated and possibly changed periodically to achieve and maintain desired results.
Have a question about your treatment?
We have a dedicated triage nurse (RN) who answers patient questions during office hours. If you have a problem or question about a procedure or a prescribed medication, please call our office and ask to speak to our nurse. If she is unable to answer your question, she will consult with your practitioner and return your call.